Calif. official says he was driver in crash that killed teen

Just after months of speculation, a Northern California county official verified that he was the driver of the motor vehicle that killed an 18-12 months-old significant college scholar in March.

Todd Leopold, Placer County’s county executive officer, confessed in a news release May perhaps 13 that he was accountable for the auto crash that killed 18-year-old Anthony Williams on March 19. 

KCRA described that the crash took position in Rocklin on Lonetree Boulevard and Adams Push, adjacent to the Blue Oaks City Middle shopping mall. Williams, a university student and basketball player at Inderkum Significant, was going for walks on the highway when he was struck by Leopold. Law enforcement claimed at the time that the driver was cooperating with the investigation, the information station claimed.

“My phrases and emotions cannot sufficiently specific my profound grief and disappointment,” Leopold claimed in a push launch. “I am heartbroken for the reduction of this young man and prolong my sincere condolences to Mr. Williams’ relatives, friends, and all of those impacted by this tragic incident.”

But in the months right after Williams’ dying, KXTV studies, his spouse and children and mates — as well as an activist group — have been vital of the police’s investigation, pissed off in specific about the practically 2-month period of their investigation and their failure to discover Leopold following the incident. 

Allegations that Leopold was the driver in the car or truck that killed Williams swirled all-around the neighborhood as significantly back as April 23, when a local community member leveled the allegation against the law enforcement in a remark on the department’s Fb site, as to start with described by the Sacramento Bee.

Rocklin law enforcement continue to have but to publicly discover Leopold as the driver — and, subsequent a police investigation, “determined that the driver is not at fault,” said the section in a statement.


The department has also been largely obstinate in giving aspects encompassing the crash to news corporations. Various media shops, together with the Sacramento Bee and KCRA, have been denied copies of the accident report inspite of submitting public information requests. 

Leopold explained in his assertion he did not want to action forward previously because he “did not want to be perceived, in any way, as attempting to impact the final result of the Rocklin Law enforcement Department’s investigation.”

In light of Leopold’s assertion, the Placer County District Attorney’s Office environment is conducting its very own evaluation of the crash.

“We fully grasp and value the public’s fascination in this incident and will perform diligently to make our results available in a well timed manner,” the district attorney’s assertion to media outlets stated. “However, all those specifically concerned in the incident and their loved ones and upcoming of kin need to have the option to obtain and system this details just before it is created readily available to the community.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.